Welcome to the annual Moth Bowl 2021 at Medley Sailing Club
Saturday 12June sees the return of the British Moth to Medley Sailing Club on the River Thames in Oxford, to compete for the Moth Bowl and Bossom’s Cup on what is always a great day’s close racing with or without wind!
Access to the club is from Binsey Lane, off the main Botley Road, and then via the Bossoms’ gate (next to the Perch pub) to the club, postcode: OX2 0NJ. Car parking is very limited on site, so visitors are requested to leave their cars on Binsey Lane during the day after delivering boats. With a little advance warning boats can be dropped-off at the club on Friday evening and left overnight; please contact me for information.
The club and Bossoms’ gate will be open from 08:30ish, with tea/coffee/pastry available on arrival. Registration is from 09:30 with the 1st of 4 races starting at 10:45, lunch at 13:15 and prizes, tea/cake at around 17.00.
We apologise that because of continuing COVID restrictions we are not able to offer lunch this year. We ask that you bring your own picnic lunch. Coffee and tea will be available throughout the day. We also advise you to bring a water container that we can refill for you and deliver to your boat between back-to-back races. Please mark with your name or other identifying mark.
Please do not come if you feel at all unwell, and otherwise abide by the COVID regulations currently in force. Medley’s COVID guidelines can be found at www.medleysailingclub.co.uk/about/covid-19-guidelines-23-may
All Moth sailors, their families and friends are welcome, and we are working on a good turnout of the home fleet.
If the winners from 2019 could please remember to bring back/make arrangements for the return of silverware it would be much appreciated.
Please let us know as soon as possible if you are planning to attend, and if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
We look forward to seeing you all on the water.
Georgina Ferry, Commodore (firstname.lastname@example.org)
NOTICE OF RACE:
British Moth Open Meeting: Moth Bowl and Bossom’s Cup
Medley Sailing Club
The Towpath, Binsey, Oxford, OX2 0NJ
Saturday 12 June 2021
Entry fee: £7.50
First race 10.45
The organising authority is Medley Sailing Club.
All enquiries to Georgina Ferry 07875 258650
1.1 The Series will be governed by the rules as defined in the Racing Rules of Sailing 2017-2020, and Medley Sailing Club Sailing Instructions, available at registration.
1.2 Competitors will behave in accordance with the RYA Racing Charter and rules of Medley Sailing Club; Dogs are allowed, under control, on the grounds but not in the clubhouse.
- 1 Entries will be accepted at registration for all helms intending to race confirming that they and the owner of the boat, if different, agree to the conditions of this NOR.
- 2 Competitors under the age of 18 years, at the time of the event shall be required to complete and submit the parental/guardian’s consent form included in the entry form with the Race Committee prior to racing.
- 3 Competitors shall be members of MSC or the British Moth Boat Association.
- Schedule of Races
3.1 Registration from: 9.30
Race 1: 10.45
Race 2: 12.00 (tbc by the race officer)
Race 3: 14:15hrs (Bossom’s Cup)
Race 4: 15:45hrs (tbc by the race officer)
3.2. The Race Committee reserves the right to amend on the day taking account of the prevailing conditions.
- Sailing Instructions
- 1 Medley SC Sailing Instructions will be available on registration.
- 2 Start sequence to be as for Medley SC club racing: 6mins, 3mins, Start
- Scoring System
- 1 The Low Point scoring system of RRS Appendix A will apply.
- 2 All races will constitute a series towards the Moth Bowl.
- 3 When fewer than 4 races are completed, a boat’s score will be the total of her race scores.
- 4 When 4 races are completed, a boat’s score will be the total of her race scores excluding her worst score.
- 5 The Bossom’s Cup will be awarded to the winner of Race 3.
6.1 Prizes will be awarded after the conclusion of the last race:
Moth Bowl: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 1st lady, 1stJunior
Bossom’s Cup: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Social Arrangements
Tea/Coffee and breakfast pastries, and afternoon cakes, will be available and are included in the entry fee. We will not serve lunch this year due to COVID restrictions: please bring your own picnic lunch.
- Rights to use Names & Likenesses
Competitors automatically grant to the organising authority without payment the right in perpetuity to make, use and show any motion pictures, still pictures and live, taped or filmed television of or relating to the event.
- Conditions of Entry
- 1 Competitors are entirely responsible for their own safety, whether afloat or ashore and nothing, whether in the Notice of Race or Sailing Instructions or, anywhere else reduces this responsibility.
- 2 It is for the competitors to decide whether their boat is fit to sail in the conditions in which it will find itself. By launching or going afloat, the competitors confirm that the boat is fit for those conditions and they are competent to sail and compete in them.
- 3 Nothing done by the organisers can reduce the responsibility of the owners and/or competitors, nor will it make the organisers responsible for any loss, damage, death or personal injury, however it may have occurred, as a result of the boat taking part in the racing. The organisers encompass everyone helping to run the race and the event, and include Medley Sailing Club, the organising authority, the race committee, the race officer, and service launch boat.
- 4 The provision of a service launch boat does not relieve the boat of her responsibilities.
- 5 Each boat is required to hold adequate insurance and in particular to hold insurance against third party claims in the sum of at least £1,000,000.
- 6 Each boat is required to hold a River Licence as issued by the Environment Agency for the day of the races, 1-day licences will be provided to visiting competitors within the cost of the entry fee. Please ensure that you inform us ahead of time if you require a river licence.